Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 24 of 24

Thread: Light Meter for Movie Cameras

  1. #21
    crimsonson
    Guest crimsonson's Avatar

    Post

    There are basically three kinds:
    B&W
    Slow to Medium Speed Film Stock
    Fast Film Stock
    The B&W is used to view contrast. When you use it, it renders the scene in shades of gray. You can quickly notice what part of the scene is not to your liking in regards to contrast (i.e. is the wardrobe with x lighting overpowering your talents face?).
    Both of the color works the same way but also add the color factor.
    Like a BASIC light meter it is for point of reference only and should not be taken as the final word. Pro DPs use it with their experience to adjust lighting and help them cope with surprise elements during shoots (change of wardrobe, lighting conditions, etc).
    Note: You should view the filter quickly and avoid your eye from adjusting. They are affordable between $040-60 each. I would recommend it to those shooting and have ability to control the lighting situation.



    [This message has been edited by crimsonson (edited September 28, 2001).]

  2. #22
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    Contrast Filters are a good idea.

    All items mentioned have a place.

    But for beginners, less can be more.

    I think an in camera functioning exposure meter with manual override is an excellent starting place.

    Everything else is built up to in time.



    ------------------
    Alex

  3. #23
    Nigel
    Guest Nigel's Avatar

    Post

    I would get a good spot meter. I feel that I have more control over my exposures with one. I also don't think that your camera is toast just because the meter doesn't work. Good Luck

    ------------------

  4. #24
    Alex
    Guest Alex's Avatar

    Post

    A functioning Super-8 Camera auto exposure camera can be used like a spot meter.

    Zoom in and get a reading, then modify your reading in the manual mode based on the lighting enviornment.

    I have found carrying a spot meter can be clunky.

    I think Spot meters are excellent tools for learning how effective the in camera meter on the camera is in different situations.

    Once you establish that relationship between the camera meter and the external spot meter, the use of the spot meter for every shot is not necessary.




    ------------------
    Alex

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •